I was looking for something that was easy, handheld, and something I could serve up poolside. I began to scour the recipes I saved over the years to find something that resonated.
I came across this recipe and thought it checked all the boxes and I was not disappointed. In fact, when I made these calzones, everybody loved them and wanted more! Another bonus was that as Katelyn doesn’t eat pork, I could make a cheese calzone for her and pepperoni for everybody else. Perfect!
The recipe calls for refrigerated pizza dough and I opted for the dough in a bag at the local grocery store, but you can grab some Pillsbury if that is all your store carries.
As another sidebar, when you roll out the dough, roll it as thin as you can-this way it is not so “dough-y” and comes out a bit crispier. You can make them into the traditional larger calzone, or you can make them mini-that is the best thing about this recipe!
Air Fryer Calzones
- Air Fryer
- 1 package refrigerated piza dough
- 9 tsp Pizza Sauce
- 1 package Sliced Pepperoni
- Shredded Mozzerella Cheese
- Cooking Spray
- Roll out pizza dough on a floured surface. Either cut dough into 9 inch circles for mini calzones, or use larger portions of dough for lunch size calzones.
- Fill each circle with 1 tsp pizza sauce, pepperoni and a few pinches of mozzarella cheese.
- Fold over and secure edges by crimping the edges with a fork.
- Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees F. You can line the basket with parchment paper and spray with oil to prevent sticking and make clean up easy.
- Place calzones into basket and mist with oil.
- Air fry for 6-8 minutes. Turn them over, mist with oil, air fry until golden brown, another 2-3 minutes.