Let’s get real: anything cooked with pancetta is amazing, am I right?
Nathan, my son, is 13 and is not a fan of veggies. At all. Most kids will at least eat carrots, but mine…it is a struggle. Whenever I find a veggie that he will venture to put on his plate to try, I chalk it up to a huge win.
Our family loves to go out to eat. We love to try different foods, beer, wine and really enjoy the entire experience. One night in particular, Rick, Nathan and I went to a local restaurant. It is one of our fave places to visit and they have Harp beer on tap-need I say more? The menu ranges from home made soups to Guinness Wings to lobster mac and cheese. Yup, there is a bit of something for everyone.
As Rick and I were checking out the menu for something a bit different, the brussels spouts caught our eye, so we ordered. Gotta have something healthy to go along with the wings, right? The food came and the brussels sprouts were served with diced bacon and a drizzle of home made garlic sauce. We all dove in and I shit you not…Nathan inhaled the entire plate of food! Rick and I were shocked!
This side is our own creation where we took the dish we ate at the restaurant and truly made it our own. We have used both pancetta and prosciutto and it really doesn’t matter. When you do buy it, make sure to ask the deli counter to give you one slice at about an eighth of an inch thick. The trick is the salty meat that is cooked with the brussels sprouts. Of course drizzling our own garlic sauce adds the perfect touch.
Before you write off brussels sprouts, give this recipe a whirl. You will be so glad you did!
Stay sassy friends.
Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts cut in half
- 6 oz Pancetta diced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Garlic Sauce
- 1 tbsp Ranch dressing
- 1 tbsp Caesar dressing-this is where all the garlic flavor comes from
- 1 tbsp Mayo
- Heat fry pan on medium heat. Add olive oil and butter.
- Once butter has melted, add diced pancetta and Sautee for 3 minutes.
- Add halved brussels sprouts, cut side down. Sautee for 7 minutes. Turn each sprout over after cut side starts to brown and caramelize. Cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. *Remember the pancetta has a lot of salt, so easy on the salt!
To Make the Garlic Sauce
- 1 part Ranch dressing, 1 part Caesar dressing, 1 part mayo-mix to combine.