This salad is crisp, sweet, and perfect for the summer!
I love the combination of fresh cilantro with a burst of lime. Even more decadent is the perfect bite when you pop the avocado, chicken, and mango in your mouth. Tasting the drizzle of dressing with a hint of honey-yum, freakin’ yum.
Listen, I love salads. This is a salad where you can omit the chicken if you are a vegetarian or if you just want to go without. There is more than enough grub in this bowl to fill you up. Want to throw in a hard boiled egg? Yup, you can do that. Want to toss in chick peas? Hell yes! Go for it!
This recipe calls for chicken thighs, but you can substitute for breasts if you wish. I am a bit of a meal prep junkie, and I like to grill a bunch of chicken on the weekend then use it over the course of the week in a variety of different salads. Quick, easy and uber simple yet packed with flavor. That is the beauty!
If you go the route of prepping your chicken ahead of time and storing it in the fridge, not to fret. This recipe calls for the dressing to double as a marinade.
Prep ahead? Hell yes!
I’m going to let you in on a secret that I do because I am all about the flavour: I think about which salads I will be eating for lunch over the week. I pull out a couple of breasts per salad, and I marinate each of the allotted chicken for each salad. In other words, I marinate 2 breasts for this salad, I marinate 2 breasts for a different salad and so on. After they have bathed in marinade bliss overnight, I grill them up, chop them up and put them in a container, clearly labelled with which salad they are to go in.
Packing for Two
As I am the prep junkie as well, I am usually the one who prepares lunches for everybody. My kids don’t stir from their rooms until well after 10am, but Rick does leave the house to go to work at 9am. It takes less than 10 minutes to pack him up and prep the rest of us for lunch. Everything gets chopped at the same time and Rick’s gets assembled in a sealable container. Add the dressing on the side with a banana, and he is good to go.
Voila, lunch. Is. Done.
Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad and Mango Avocado Salsa
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Lime Juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (or breasts)
- Romaine Lettuce
- 1 Red Pepper sliced-if BBQing, keep in quarters
- 1 Mango diced
- 1 Avocado diced
- 1 Green Onion thinly sliced
- Whisk marinade ingredients to combine. Pour 1/3 of marinade into a shallow dish to marinatethe chicken-for at least 15 minutes.
- Reserve the remaining marinade to use as dressing.
- If grilling-BBQ chicken and quartered peppers until done. If pan-frying, add oil to fry pan and cook until done-depending on the thickness and size of the thighs.
- If pan-frying, once the chicken is done, wipe the pan and add the sliced peppers until tender crisp, about 3-5 minutes.
- Make the Salsa-combine diced mango, avocado and green onion in a bowl. Add 2 tbsp of reserved dressing/marinade. Set aside.
- When the chicken is done, slice into strips.
- Time to assemble-In a bowl, add romaine, peppers, and mango salsa. Top with chicken, then drizzle with the reserved dressing/marinade