The kids and I LOVE Butter Chicken. I mean, I have ordered from 2 different restaurants for take out and 1 dinner was a smidge spicy. Katelyn loved the flavours but could not take the heat. She loved it so much that she ate the entire bowl with tears streaming down her face and a glass of milk within finger reach. That is how much we love a good Butter Chicken.
Yes. I am one of the many that purchased an Instant Pot over the pandemic. I bought a puppy too, but that is another story for another day.
In my search for recipes, a friend of mine sent me a PLETHORA of Instant Pot recipes. Now, I haven’t had the opportunity to try them all, but when I saw a Butter Chicken recipe on her list, I was all in.
I am going to make this short and sweet. Are you ready?
Got an Instant Pot? Like Butter Chicken? Do yourself and favour and just make this one recipe. It tastes exactly, and I meant EXACTLY like take out.
Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Instant Pot
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp Fresh Ginger minced
- 1 cup Tomato puree or passata
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Cumin ground
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 lbs Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless, cut into pieces
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- Turn your Instant Pot on to the sautee setting.
- Add butter and let it melt. Add garlic and ginger-cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato puree and tomato paste. Stir. Add garam masala, coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric and salt to the Instant Pot. Stir and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add chicken thighs, water and stir everything together.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to poultry setting (or the manual setting) for 5 minutes.
- Once the cycle is complete, wait for a few minutes while the steam naturally releases for 10 minutes. Time it. Then push the button for the quick release. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Change the setting to sautee and do not add the lid on. Add the whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally.