Remember how I mentioned the Freshman 15?
Yup, it’s a thing. It is very real and the reason is that not many students know how to cook for themselves. The result is a multitude of take-out, fast food, high fat, and KD. 15 pounds are gained like that-visualize me snapping my fingers.
Something else to keep in mind as a student, is the cost of food. Now, you and I both know that food has increased significantly in price. Everything is expensive and grocery shopping is costly. Sausages and a bag of pasta are still affordable. Add chopped red pepper and you got yourself a healthy dinner.
The best thing about this meal? You can make a pot of it and it still tastes great for a couple of days.
Print and pass this recipe along to your kid in school and go ahead and try it yourself. You will not regret it!
Fussili with Italian Sausage
- 1 cup Dried Fussili pasta, or any other curly pasta like rotini
- Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Onion-chopped/minced
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- Mild Italian Sausages-need 1 sausage per person. Remove Casing.
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 Red Pepper-sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup Tomato Sauce
- Cook the pasta-boil water and once boiling, add pasta. Cook according to packge directions.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a fry pan on medium heat, add chopped onion and garlic. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add sausage-removed from casing. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add basil and red pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce. Reduce heat, simmer for 3 minutes.
- Once pasta is done, drain and add back to pot. Add sauce to pasta. Serve.