Jenn is my travel buddy. So far, we have gone to Chicago and Boston together and our next venture will San Francisco-once we are able to travel across borders again. It was on our last trip to Boston where she told me her secret to losing weight and staying mentally sharp was “going Keto”. She loved how she had no brain fog, how she had no bloating and she felt that she did not miss any of her favorite foods.
Now, I don’t know all the ins and outs of a keto diet, but I do know that there is a limitation to the amount of complex carbohydrates and sugars you eat. It is this balance of food options that keeps your body in a state of ketosis. What is ketosis you ask? In layman’s terms, it is believed that it is a state your body enters when it burns fat for energy. As much as I appreciate this way of eating-and I enjoyed the vodka soda that she allowed me to try-I really (and I mean REALLY) enjoy my beer. I enjoy the odd donut. I love my ice cream and I actually hear cinnamon buns call out to me. So, this is obviously not the right plan for me.
However, this super simple recipe is keto friendly, meaning the sweetener is of your choice. If you are new to Keto, you can use Stevia, sucralose or Monk Fruit sweetener.
Bring on the brown sugar baby! And if you are a non-keto folk with no brown sugar, you can substitute for white sugar.
The bottom line is, pecans are a protein that will tide you over for a bit. You know that 3pm craving you get and you need a little something to get you over the hump until dinner time? This is the snack for you. A hand full of these tasty morsels and you will have satisfied your craving. Make a bunch and then keep them in an air sealed container until your next craving.
Snack on and stay sassy friends.
Candied Pecans-Keto Friendly
- 1 1/2 cups sweetener Keto: Stevia or Monk Fruit. Non-Keto: brown or white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 cups raw pecans
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat.
- Once hot, add 1 cup or sweetener, water and vanilla and mix until combined. Allow to heat up, stirring occasionally.
- When sweetener has completely melted, add pecans. Mix in the liquid mixture ensuring each nut is evenly coated. Continue stirring until sweetener begins to crystallize on the pecans.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Use wooden spoon to break apart the pecans before they crystallize together.
- Once cooled, toss with remaining sweetener and cinnamon.