I found a recipe for “Skinny Caesar” on Pinterest and as I made it, I found that there were some elements I really loved, and others that for me were….meh.
I used Rick as my guinea pig (shhhh! Don’t tell him that!) and he texted me from work telling me the salad was awesome! We seem to be on a salad kick lately and I am always looking for different combinations.
Rick has always loved a great Ceasar salad. We would go to restaurants solely based on whether the waiter made the Caesar salad at our table. The fresh dressing made a huge difference along with adding all the ingredients-the process for us was mesmerizing. Not to mention that we would be salivating in anticipation!
Yes, I know…. Caesar salad is not uber calorie conscious of the salad options, but man, it was worth it! In this recipe, I have added some protein to the salad as Rick and I are trying to be a bit more healthy, so I added chicken and a hard-boiled egg. This extra protein holds him a bit longer until lunch-less cravings. Feel free to top with parmesan cheese.
The dressing is something I watched my friend Kenny make years ago. Truth be told, I gave Rick the Kraft Caesar dressing, but if you want to get a bit fancy, take a few minutes and pull this dressing together.
Twist on a Caesar Salad
- 1/2 cup Cooked chicken
- 2 Strips Cooked bacon, chopped into pieces
- 1/2 Avocado, sliced
- 1 Hard boiled egg-slice
- 1/4 cup Red and green peppers-chopped
- 2 Slices Red onion
- 1 Ciabata roll
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- Romaine lettuce
To make the Dressing
- 2 cups Olive oil
- 4 cloves Garlic-crushed
- 6 Eggs
- 4.5 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 tsp Dry mustard
- 3 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Tobasco
- 2 tsp Oregano-dried
- To make c routons: Preat oven to broil. Chop the ciabatta roll into bite size pieces. Drizzle with olive oil and place in oven after oven has heated up for a few minutes. Broil for 3 minutes depending on how hot your oven is. Watch carefully to make sure ciabatta doesn't burn.
- Assemble salad with all ingredients and top with croutons.
To make the Dressing
- Add all ingredients to a bowl except the olive oil. You can add to food processor or blender.
- Mix ingredients and once mixed, slowly add olive oil.
- Top the salad with dressing and store remaining dressing to be used later.